06/04/2016 10:00 AM Suffix - Tissue Types HI008721V/16
NATURE OF SPECIMEN:
1. 6mm punch right groin.
2. 6mm punch IMF.
FAO - Tim Bracey.
1. Punch biopsy measuring 6 x 6 x 6 mm.
S2 1B NSW AG/JH
2. Punch biopsy of skin 6 x 6 x 7 mm received fresh for IMF staining. RA 6/4/16
- Rare (1-2% of pemphigus cases) variant of pemphigus vulgaris characterized by verrucous plaques in the flexural regions
- Oral cavity is commonly affected; cerebriform or scrotal tongue is a diagnostic clue of early involvement
- Reported in long standing nasal heroin abuse and with HIV+ patients
- Supra basal acantholysis is subtle, masked by exuberant proliferation of squamous epithelium which may show pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia
- Large intraepidermal microabscesses filled with eosinophils and occasional acantholytic keratinocytes
- Intercellular deposits of IgG (a) and C3 (b) on direct immunofluorescence